Thursday, November 4, 2010

prejudice

Some people claim to not be judgmental, but at the end of the day, everyone is. Everyone. We can try not to be, but as soon as you look at someone a judgement forms in your head. For example, I work at a retail makeup store in Manhattan. We get a lot of theft, and I can look at a person an instantly form an oppinion in my head whether this person is going to buy anything or if they are just going to ask for free samples or if they are going to try to steal or if they are one of those undecided people with a little help who will buy anything you show them and tell them they need. You can tell a lot by the way a person is dressed. If someone comes in wearing an oversized winter coat in the middle of summer, yes, I am going to follow you around my store to make sure you don't take anything. You could have low circulation and feel cold, but more likely you are trying to stuff some perfumes up your sleeves. It may be sad to say, but at least I'm being honest. If anyone claims to never be prejudice, they are lying. A quick way to prove this, dress in really dirty clothes, preferably with holes in them, smear some dirt on yourself, grease up your hair a bit, hold a cup in your hand and sit outside of their apartment, see if they even take two looks at you. They will instantly assume you are homeless and begging for money. We are programmed that way.
Also, before you can be a counselor and give other people advice, I think you need to have your life in order. Personally, I think I have my life pretty under control. If I ever feel like I am losing touch with it, I will quit posting advice until I'm through it and can then tell you all about my experience and how I got through it. But for now, I don't have any hard issues on my forefront. So, I will keep on trekking.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment