Saturday, May 14, 2011

tattoos

I've designed a few tattoos for friends but I'll never design one that falls into one of these categories below.
I don't understand why girls get tattoos of their boyfriends' names on their ring finger. Shouldn't he put a ring on that finger before you permanently put his name there? Clearly he is not ready to commit to you, so why are you so eager to make such a huge commitment? Why do we tattoo other people's names on our body anyway? Unless you have some magical fortune teller powers that tell you that you are going to be with this person for the rest of your life, why do it?
On the contrary, I completely understand tribute and memorial tattoos of family members or close friends who've passed away. A tattoo should mean something to you. It should mean something final. Something unchangeable, because it, in itself is unchangeable.
I don't have any tattoos but a lot of the people I know do. I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo personally, but I'm not against them. I try to live by the motto, live life without regrets. Nothing has happened to me that I'd want tattooed on me. I am sure that if I had a tattoo, I'd probably regret it, because it wouldn't have any meaning for me as of now.
If you are thinking about a tattoo, make sure it is something unchangeable in your life. Don't get a tattoo of your favorite rock band, because they will likely split up in 6 months. Don't get a tattoo of a flower, star, hearts, etc, because it is very unlikely that you will still find the design beautiful and meaningful in a few years. Don't get a boyfriend/girlfriend's name, initials, anniversary date, etc tattooed on you, because your next boyfriend/girlfriend won't like it very much.
Don't get swears tattooed. Nobody will take you seriously if you have an expletive branded on you.
Don't get tattoos in places you can't hide, such as your neck, wrists, hands, feet. If you disagree with this, please name one millionaire with visible tattoos, other than rock stars and pro-athletes please. Also, ask someone who has them there and see what job they currently hold, and see if they have ever been asked o cover their tattoo every day before coming to work. That is quite a hassle.
Don't get tattoos on the small of your back, otherwise known as the tramp stamp. We all know your purpose in doing this is to attract men, and it will, for all the reasons you intended it. Trouble is, finding a man that will take you seriously as anything other than a tramp after seeing your tramp stamp.
Don't get tattoos on your face. Probably the worst idea of them all. Can you imagine your wedding photos with a tear drop tattooed under your eye, or even better, on an interview for a job that requires a background check?
Don't get symbols in other languages unless you are 500% positive you know what it means or else, the symbol "truth" could just mean "toe-jam."
Don't get a joke tattooed on your body, especially if you lost a bet. Your "friends" will accept your decline to get the tattoo if you pay them each off $20, trust me its a good investment.

Other than those, I'm sure there are several other types of tattoos you shouldn't get. Before you get inked, make sure that the design is something with a huge meaning on your life. Make sure that it's in a place that allows you to enter into any profession you choose. Make sure you go to a reputable shop and see the design first. I recommend having the artist sketch it out and that you keep the sketch for 6 months. If you still want the same design 6 months later, then get it. Impulse tattoos are never a good idea.

Happy inks!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment