Sunday, May 22, 2011

5'10"32-23-32

The title of this post is referencing an all too surreal industry standard for models. Top agencies expect models to come in at 5' 10" tall with a bust measurement of 32, waist at 23, and hips at 32, inches that is. Some media outlets claim that the industry is taking a turn to the more "healthy" looking model. Fact is. That is far from the truth. The camera really does add ten pounds. So, to get a model that looks great in their size 0 samples, they really need a true size 0, if not a 00.
It's kind of hard to imagine what exactly a 00 is. Some people are naturally skinny with a hyper-speed metabolism and born structure that allows them to shimmy through small cracks in walls. Others can achieve the same look with a proper diet of lean meats and fresh fruits and vegetables and a lot of exercise.
Some people can only achieve this unhealthily. Those are the people I want to talk to in this blog. Those of you, who are like me. Who make the conscious decision to make it as far as you can, without starving yourself. I am happy and content accepting what the industry standard is and being open and honest about what I am. I am not industry standard. I am not as tall or as thin as the girl next to me. But against all odds, I am booking jobs. I am going out and having fun. I am walking through the streets of New York confidently, knowing that every other person who sees me, thinks I am a model. They know it because of the way I dress, the way I hold myself, (and possibly the large back with my portfolio and heels sticking out of it). Haha.
I want to tell you all my measurements just so you can see the reality of the situation. I am 5' and 7 3/4" tall.  My measurements are 34-27-37. I weigh about 128lbs. Although, it fluctuates depending on the time of day I measure.
Another surprising reality, if my hips were 3 inches larger, I would be considered a plus sized model. Yup, plus sized with a hip measurement of 40 inches. That is the harsh reality of the modeling world. And you know what? I chose to be a part of this world. I chose to be in it because of the feeling I get when I'm on the runway. The feeling I get when I'm in front of the camera, in front of a crowd. The fantasy you can bring to the table that one minute, you are just another girl with fresh washed hair and no makeup riding the subway, and the next you are posing for billboards in Malaysia. When you model, or when you act, you can morph into any character imaginable. You can be the Houdini of 2011, you can be an African queen or a space-aged Lady Gaga, well, Lady Gaga is already space-aged, so we'll just say you can be her for a day.
Any ways, if you have the desire to be in an industry where you do not fit the mold, that is okay. Be yourself. They can either take it or leave it. Don't go to extreme lengths to change yourself to be what everyone else wants because you will not be happy. Are boney shoulder beautiful? Yes, to some people, including myself, they can be. But, I don't have them, and it's okay. I like desserts. I eat them. I can't change my height. My DNA only allowed me to reach the height I am at. So, I throw some heels on, and hope for the best.
Work with what you got sista! Wear clothes that flatter your figure, your style, and your bank account. Don't spend money you don't have on trying to impress other people. If you want to splurge on something every now and then on something that makes you feel good, then do it. But don't spend money on designer clothes thinking it will get you anywhere. A well dressed person will always be looked upon with more favor than a person ill-dressed with labels.
Remember, no matter what obstacles you face, you were created unique and special and you have a purpose. There is no body else in the world like you. Go be your fierce self!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment